It usually takes a few days to really get back into the groove of things after such a nice holiday, but I finally feel 100 percent back to normal. Things are getting really busy with work, and I’m feeling motivated again, which is awesome! I’ve got a new workout plan that I really love, I’m sleeping and eating very well again (for now!) and I’m just very excited to be back into a good routine.
Guava & Cheese Danish
Quick Puff Pastry
- 13.2 oz flour
- 2.7 oz butter, soft
- 0.25 oz salt
- 5.6 oz ice water
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 14 oz. guava puree
- 5 oz sugar
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 2 tsp pectin
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 2 oz powdered sugar
- 1 yolk
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. water
- sugar for sprinkling
- First prepare your quick puff dough. Flour, soft butter, and salt go in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Cold water and vinegar go together in a separate cup.
- Turn mixer on low and slowly pour water into flour mixture. Then add your cold cubed butter and mix for 10 seconds- it is important to finish this dough by hand.
- Remove dough from mixer onto a work surface (you should have large chunks of butter and dough should appear dry but it is good! Don’t add any more water).
- Form the dough by rolling into a log and kneading. Wrap and rest dough for 1 hour in the fridge.
- Next, start your guava jam.Puree and lemon juice go in a small sauce pot on medium heat. Whisk sugar and pectin in a separate bowl. Add sugar/pectin mixture to puree and let it cook down to half volume and thick, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool in a separate bowl. Once cooled, put into a piping bag and set aside.
- Once dough has rested, roll out onto a floured surface into a long rectangle. You’ll need to roll into 4 book folds. I seriously hate reading a recipe that tries to explain how to laminate dough without pictures, I always just get confused. I found a really good video that fully demonstrates so you don't want to pull your hair out from reading confusing directions.
- Remember to chill the dough between folds in order to keep the butter cold.
- To make cream cheese filling, add cream cheese and sifted powdered sugar to a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix to incorporate, then add yolk. Once mixed, put into piping bag and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Once dough is ready, roll into a large rectangle about 1/8” thickness. Using a ruler and pizza cutter, cut 3”x3” squares.
- Fill each square with a little cream cheese and a little guava jam, in whichever design you’d like!
- Place on a sheet tray 2 inches apart from eachother.
- Make an egg wash by mixing 1 egg with a splash of water and brush over each danish. Sprinkle with a little sugar.
- Chill dough in freezer for 10 minutes, then bake until golden and crispy, about 20-25 minutes. Cool, and enjoy!!