Simply put: this cake is decadent. A little sour from the fruit, sweet from the brown sugar, and just enough salt in the entire thing to really make that bite of cake DANCE in your mouth. Was that weird?
You can just as easily use a regular orange if you’d like- I promise it will be equally as delicious.
Blood Orange Caramel Cake
- 8 oz butter
- 5 oz brown sugar
- 4 oz sugar
- 2 eggs
- 12 oz flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp blood orange zest
- 2 oz cream
- 5 oz brown sugar
- 3 oz butter
- 1.5 oz butter
- 4 oz brown sugar
- 1 blood orange
- First things first- preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C). Spray a 9” springform pan with baking spray.
- Zest the blood orange, and set aside the zest.
- Melt the 1.5 oz. butter and 4 oz. brown sugar together- then spread over bottom of springform pan.
- Next, slice the top and bottom of the orange off. With a small knife, cut off the rind of the orange as best as you can without cutting into the flesh of the orange. Cut the orange in slices and place over the brown sugar mixture in the springform pan.
- Now to make the cake. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together, set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars together. Next add the eggs, followed by the zest and vanilla.
- Next, alternately add the flour mixture and the hot water.
- Pour over the blood oranges and into the oven. Set timer for 30 minutes. (You’re going to bake for 30, glaze, then bake another 25-30 minutes.)
- To make the glaze: melt cream, brown sugar, and butter on medium heat until all
- Once you’re 30 minutes in, remove cake pan from oven, brush half of the glaze over the top of the cake, then bake for another 25-30 minutes. (reserving the remaining glaze for once the cake is out of the oven.)
- Once completely baked, cool in pan for 30 minutes. Next, remove springform sides, and invert cake onto a cake plate. Carefully peel away the base, if you’re having trouble getting the cake off without disturbing the orange slices, use a torch to release the cake pan base.
- Finally, glaze the top of the cake with the remaining glaze. Now cut yourself a slice and take a bite- you deserve it. That was tough.